CanadienUser

Posted Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:49 pm

Hi I don't have much experience whit Amiga accelerator and I was wondering if anyone out there could help me sort out the problem I have whit my GVP Impact A3001 I just acquired as it fail to boot and hang on a black screen.

Here the steps I taken already and things to note
-I removed the ram expansion board to be sure it did not interfere
-I looked up the jumper setting to make sure they were right
-They was some corrosion on the connector but I used a continuity tool to make check them
-They is not FPU on the board, I don't know if it need one to boot
-I removed the 68030, it had one bend pin but I repaired it
-They is a fallback jumper on the board and whit it the 68000 boot
-Tested whit and without the ide boot rom and the result was the same

Here the current state of the jumper
J1 - on
J2 - off
J4 - off
J5 - on
J6 - off
J7 - on
J9 - on
J10 - on
J11 - off
J12 - off
J13 - off
J14 - on
J15 - off
J16 - on
J17 - off
J18 - off

My Amiga is a 2000 Rev 6.2 NTSC whit 1mb of chip ram

If there any other detail you think I left out feel free to ask, it's my first time asking for help like that so I hope I did not forget anything.
Thanks a lot to anyone that will take the time to read this :)

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:32 am

I have never owned such a board.
So rather a wild guess from me.

- thoroughly check for signs of corrosion
- replace the CIAs for a quick check, you could swap them.
- I don’t know the RAM configuration, you could check if you can remove any RAM and configure the board appropriately
- any jumpers on the A2000 that can be set?
- afair the ROM on the GVP can be upgraded. Maybe try to replace it with a newer one??

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:33 am

Edit: checking for corrosion on the A2000 board, not the GVP

CanadienUser

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:18 am

Good idea, I check the cpu slot continuity, they was not much damage from the battery leak but we never know

CanadienUser

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:43 am

Update :
I was going to check the connector but it started booting from the 68030
Managed to make it boot from Floppy to sysinfo and all, whit the hardrive just yep but that less important in comparison.
Tested the Ram32 board and it showed a error on boot, even after removing the ram, from the board diagnostic, going to investigate that and it was very hot.
I think they might be some corrosion of a kind one of the resistor pack legs.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:33 pm

„Not much damage“ can be severely misleading in case of corrosion. Better disassemble and check with magnifying glasses.

CanadienUser

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:57 pm

You're right on that, though I did check the resistor value and they are totally fine. One of the PLA chip get really hot really fast though so I'm afraid it might be dead?

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:38 am

If PLA = CIA then this sounds unusual.

In the Amiga you can just switch them - they have two with different functions. If the same chip gets hot in the other place but the other chip stays cool in the switched position then you might have a strong indication that something wrong there.

CanadienUser

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:59 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:38 am
If PLA = CIA then this sounds unusual.

In the Amiga you can just switch them - they have two with different functions. If the same chip gets hot in the other place but the other chip stays cool in the switched position then you might have a strong indication that something wrong there.
Not the CIA, they is PLA on the ram board, on of those get particulary hot, not sure if it's a short or it's just dead.

Return to “Hardware”