AmigaZ

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:37 am

I have a PPS 2000 040 accelerator with 8mb ram. I'm upgrading to 32mb ram and replacing the cpu fan. My current issue is I cannot remove the existing simms from their sockets. The online manual states: Remove simm by gently prying one hook out of its hole and slightly lifting that side of the simm. Repeat this on the other hook so that neither hook is holding the simm in place. Gently pull the simm out of the socket. I have tried my thumbs, small flathead screwdrivers, and a dental hook to no avail. Wish i could post a pic of the simm slot hook holding the simm. Any advice on proper removal technique. Thanks

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:51 am

Weird. Sounds really gummed up! Could be a thin layer of corrosion holding it together like that. Have you tried to gently rock it back and forth to see if it audibly "cracks" at all?

I imagine once you get one to come out the others will follow. But getting that 1st one will be nerve-wracking.

AmigaZ

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 am

intric8 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:51 am
Weird. Sounds really gummed up! Could be a thin layer of corrosion holding it together like that. Have you tried to gently rock it back and forth to see if it audibly "cracks" at all?

I imagine once you get one to come out the others will follow. But getting that 1st one will be nerve-wracking.
It's hard to tell of any corrosion withing the slot. For the exception of the noisy fan the card is in good clean shape. I've tried to lift the simm on one side bending the side clips and exerting pressure on the hook. Just wont budge and im afraid of breaking it exerting too much pressure. Could be stiff from 30+ yrs of being seated.

AmigaZ

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:04 pm

Update: After some patience, brute strength, 2 micro flathead screw drivers and busted cracked thumb nails I managed to remove all eight simms.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Is it this card?

There doesn’t seem to be much magic about the sockets.
It’s unlikely that you broke something.

AmigaZ

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:49 pm

It is that card. The simm sockets were just extremely stiff. I managed to populate the slots with a full 32mb non-parity simms. I had to swap the cpu from an XC to MC as it showed no signs of life. I believe the XC was dead from years of heat. My system now detects the card according to the early boot menu under Expansion board diagnostics but will not load to Workbench 3.2. I have tried no auto-config 32mb with romtagmem and auto-config 2mb with romtagmem 30mb. Neither config lines loads to Workbench screen. I tried mmulibs with my custom dual boot setup but that only crashed my setup and just has a black screen. I may need to only have a single boot partition with 3.2 and mmulibs. The other boot partition (dh0) is 1.3 which i know the accelerator is not capable. My hope was that it would default to 68000 cpu for 1.3. I may post my startup-sequence config with my next reply. I did enable the 68040.library. Thanks for the interest.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 am

You might want to start with 3.1, actually. That was the OS that the card was built for. Once any hardware-issues are solved or ruled out, you can upgrade.

So for me it would be OS3.1 and MMULibs.

AmigaZ

Posted Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:10 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 am
You might want to start with 3.1, actually. That was the OS that the card was built for. Once any hardware-issues are solved or ruled out, you can upgrade.

I was afraid of that. But it is the logical path forward.

AmigaZ

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:24 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 am

3.1 did not make a difference unfortunately. I used a 3.1 rom (works fine) and a 4gb hard drive image of AmigaOS 3.1. I'm thinking there is an issue with my scsi card A2091 interacting with the PPS 2000 040 Accelerator. The A2091 works fine with my A2630 BigRam. I know the 2630 is completely auto-config but the PPS is only partially auto-config and needs MuLibs with the remaining ram configured in MMU-Configuration. It freezes at a SetPatch PFS-III Request Error. Regardless of OS version it displays SetPatch error with Suspend/Reboot. My PFS3 partitions have mask 0x7ffffffe. I'm grasping at straws at this point.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:01 pm

Some accelerators might use an F-ROM or even F-ROM hack. The ACA500(+) does similarly when an A1200 accelerator is attached.

You might try without SetPatch.
Last edited by McTrinsic on Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware”