McTrinsic

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:02 pm

And just for debugging - better start with FFS. You could try the one from OS3.2.

dankcomputing

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:25 pm

The card is very tempermental because it was designed before there was any official 040-based Amiga. That also means it predates OS 3.0. The software was initially designed around 2.1 but was updated just enough to support 3.1.

All other 040 cards for pre-3000 systems have an early boot ROM of some kind, and this really could have used one because that's the only way to get hassle-free 32-bit RAM.

It really wants you to use addmem to enable the RAM and it really really wants you to use the 68040.library that shipped with the card. It might be possible to get it going using other methods but in the two times I've encountered this card I eventually just gave up, followed the manual and used the latest known version of it's install disk.

AmigaZ

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:10 am

dankcomputing wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:25 pm
The card is very tempermental because it was designed before there was any official 040-based Amiga. That also means it predates OS 3.0. The software was initially designed around 2.1 but was updated just enough to support 3.1.

All other 040 cards for pre-3000 systems have an early boot ROM of some kind, and this really could have used one because that's the only way to get hassle-free 32-bit RAM.

It really wants you to use addmem to enable the RAM and it really really wants you to use the 68040.library that shipped with the card. It might be possible to get it going using other methods but in the two times I've encountered this card I eventually just gave up, followed the manual and used the latest known version of it's install disk.
Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it. I don't know if I have an updated package of the PPS for 3.1 compatibility. I have previously tried the original software. I have managed to make the card at least not corrupt the sd card (at least for now) by switching the jumpers to Nibble mode with my Non-Parity 80ns ram. It boots to workbench in a diminished mode without the memory configured. Graphics and Startup apps fail to load to due to lack of configured memory. I will retry with 3.1 following the manual using Addmem (I did try it previously but it failed to boot with memory errors). I've got several 040 libs including the original pps one. I have removed the 060 chip and placed the 040 back in the socket. I've been going in circles since receiving the card in the summer without success.

AmigaZ

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:14 am

Out of frustration I have removed the PPS and installed the Bigram 2630 back in its place.

Return to “Hardware”