intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Just for main body copy on posts and game reviews, not the rest of the site. Might revert but wanted to see about exploring a serif font for the areas that get read the most.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 pm

I also created a new Smilie, the "Save!"

:disk: <3

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:39 pm

Definitely love the disk 👍😊

The new font took me a while … and I’m still undecided. Provides a certain serious, conservative impression. Which might be good but at the same time bad. Reminds me a bit of a newspaper.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:28 pm

Interesting comment. Thanks for the feedback.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:31 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is the body copy is now using system fonts, so in theory provides a very slight performance improvement (many today may not notice unless I remove the rest, which I'm not inclined to do). Possibly mobile users would have a ever so slightly better experience. But we're talking milliseconds for most visitors.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:38 am

It is clean and easy to read. Works good.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:34 am

As known from the teachings on typography, a font with serifs is very readable with black text on a light background, similar to a newspaper. Since the forum works the same way, it's fine to keep it that way. Fonts without serifs, on the other hand, read better on screens, where light type on a dark background is more prevalent.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:40 pm

Not sure it works for me. It is quite a fat font. Maybe if it was a bit narrower? I am on an iPad using Safari.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:22 am

Thanks for the feedback, fx. I'll see if I can round up an iPad at work at take a look. I've not done that yet.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:17 am

Now for a week we have system-level sans-serif fonts. So, the performance will be equal to the serif'd fonts we've been using.

After a few days we can decide our preference as best as possible for those that care to weigh in.

Return to “Site News”