intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:12 am

Very interesting brand new MOS 6526 / 8521 / (8520) FPGA replacement part that has hit the scene, with a few caveats worth keeping in mind. But first, the details.
  • FPGA based replacement for MOS 6526 & 8521 CIA chips
  • Complete logic and all features of the original IC's implemented
  • All diagnostic & software tests passed 100%, including all tests in Wolfgang Lorenz's test suite and Vice-project's CIA-tests.
More Info
F3GlbQHbcAAR_BI.jpg
Some extra notes worth keeping in mind:
Pins on J-CIA are gold plated round pins, which will work with all kinds of sockets, but
the pins are a bit thicker than original IC-pins, which may cause slight stress to some leaf-type
sockets. This is a the same with all reproduction IC's with turned pins.
This "J-CIA64" -version is not compatible with Amiga / 8520-CIA and cannot be later converted or upgraded to be.
Amiga. Compatible version will be a separate product that will be released later.
Mode between new (8521) and old (6526) cia type can be changed with a solder jumper on the underside of J-CIA64
This could also be used with the 1570 and 1571 drives.

The price is €39,95 from retro8bitshop. Considering that's close to the same price found for a loose CIA on Ebay, it's definitely nice to see this hit the market. :disk: :disk:

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:50 pm

I am happy to hear they got this working and released.

So Just to keep track here are all the replacements available:

PLA (Several different ones, including the 64Cs Super PLA)
SID (Several, IE ARMSID, FPGA SID, BackSID, etc)
VIC-II (Kawari)
CIA (J-CIA64)
ROM's (EPROMs, Etc)
RAM (SRAM Modules and abundant replacements for original ICs)
8701 Clock chip (Several replacements)
6510 CPU (There is an adapter to add missing features to a plugged in 6502)

The logic ICs and other components are still manufactured today.

I guess sooner or later it will be cheaper to buy an Ultimate64, vs replacing all your chips on your original 64. :lol:

But I am loving that smart people are providing options to keep our favorite computers working.

Now if someone could just start a new run of Floppy Disks.

Return to “Modern Take”