happyferret

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:50 am

After not using my "new" Amiga 1000 for a couple days, I turned it on again today and immediately noticed a loud noise that, at first, I assumed might be part of the case pressing down too hard (I'm still a wee bit paranoid about that 1084S on top).

After about 5 minutes and playing some Wishbringer, it eventually calmed itself down but is still noticeable.

I don't remember any noticeable noise when I first turned it on about two weeks ago. Alas, now I can't tell if there really was no noise or if it was just the rose tinted retro glasses.

Can anybody with an Amiga 1000 do a recording of their device during cold boot and after a few minutes?

I'll upload recordings of mine later. Maybe somebody who is more of an audiophile than me can tell me if that noise is normal or not.

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:07 am

A1000 fan bearings can become noisy after 35 years ;) I've never had much luck lubricating them. Depending on whether the PSU is 110V or 220V, search for Etri 126LH-2182 or 126LH-2181 respectively as a replacement.

By design, the A1000 case is perfectly capable of carrying a monitor. The load is transferred evenly from top to bottom by full height standoffs. The fans are casted metal.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:03 am

Agree with m0c, it is almost undoubtedly your ancient fan. When the fan is operational after a while the sound usually goes away almost entirely as the chunky grease warms up a little bit and settles down. I've researched this quite a bit and in theory it could be solved with a high-grade oil (like those used in sewing machines) but I've not personally had any success in the matter. I've also researched that fan to see if it could be replaced and I remember actually finding it a few years ago - and it was close to $100! I nearly pulled the trigger but then sanity washed over me (a rare occurrence).

It doesn't really hurt anything to hear that knocking. But it can be annoying. If it didn't eventually go away I'd probably have lost my mind by now and tried to replace it.

luvwagn

Posted Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:44 am

If you're semi handy, you can drop one of these AC fans in off of Amazon. I've done two of them before, and there's a YouTube ideo of the installation (not mine), although he ends up installing in the wrong direction 😑

AC Infinity AXIAL 8038, Quiet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OXTWZI?re ... b_ap_share

Return to “Hardware”