intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:27 am

During the research and development of my latest video covering GEOS and CMD Hardware, I uncovered a couple of really interesting pieces of information that felt like they could have been the subjects of their own projects. But they never made it into the video because they felt like tangential diversions. I think of them as "side quests" of the main adventure.

This post covers the first one. Make sure you're sitting down, by the way.

I learned that during the late 90s CMD actually considered making their own 8-bit computer. The idea was that, similar to the C65, 128 and now Mega65, it would include multiple computer modes. Mode 1 would be a fully compatible C64. Mode 2 would be pure CMD Native format with JiffyDOS built-in. And, on the heels of the 20 Mhz SuperCPU, this new computer would leverage the same exact CPU, thus bringing a 20 Mhz computer to the market during a time of 200 Mhz PowerPCs and Pentium IIs. But for an 8-bit computer at 20 Mhz, the performance gains would have been shocking to any that ever witnessed them.

CMD was still very focused on the SuperCPU rollout and the 128-specific version at the time, but supposedly an actual computer design had been developed. Venture capital investment was needed in order to get to the manufacturing stage, which never materialized.

After having fallen in love with CMDs hardware, it does make the mind wander where CMD might have taken 8-bit computing had they realized their dreams.

I'll uncover another side quest soon. :commodore: <3

(see also: side quest 2: The CMD Font)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:08 pm

Wow, I never knew that. But like you said it was a world of PowerPC and Pentiums and I was in full Mac and Intel P2 by that time with my Commodore stuff in storage and some of it given away.

Are there any of the design docs in someone's possession these days?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Are there any of the design docs in someones possession these days?
I'm not sure. I'm trying to poke around and see if there's any shred of it by contacting some folks, which may take a while to get any definitive answers.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:33 pm

I've not received any additional information on this fascinating nugget yet (may not), but if I had worked for CMD back in the day I would have named such a computer:

CMD Super64

Return to “The Lounge”