luvwagn

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm

Replaces the front 256KB RAM expansion, and provides same RAM, an RTC, and via a pi zero 2 you get SD card access, wifi, accelerated mp3 offload via MHI, and various other goodies!
20230913_145037.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:50 pm

I saw those for sale the other day. I absolutely love the idea of using the front expansion in a novel way like this.

I personally couldn't see myself actually using one with the current set of features (they are mostly redundant, or require a Pi for networking, etc.) but it reminded me that this oft-forgotten hidden front expansion is a lot more capable than I gave it credit. Mega-props to the dev(s) who came up with the idea, design and implementation.

luvwagn

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 pm

Stuff a pi, get wifi, seems like a deal. Although I guess a plipbox is fine...

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:08 pm

I got my A314-1000 in the mail this afternoon. I haven't tested it yet, but the latest a314.device is supposed to contain added support for the Rejuvenator and the Parceiro II.

For the time being, it is unlikely that services like remotewb and videoplayer will ever work on a rejuvenated A1000, as the A314 has no direct access to chipmem.

CrashMidnick
FRANCE

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:26 pm

Can you still close the trap door with it installed ?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:49 pm

@CrashMidnick do you mean the front cover? I assumed yes since all the gadgetry is on the inside of the PCB, but it's a good question.

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:35 am

It's a perfect fit. Notice the Parceiro II and the Rejuvenator with empty kickstart ROM socket.

Eriond
Stockholm, Sweden

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:58 am

CrashMidnick wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:26 pm
Can you still close the trap door with it installed ?
Yes, I designed it specifically that way.
The boards that are shipping out now, have a customized EDAC connector. I have used a CNC to mill down the connector body height slightly, and cut (milled) the legs down to only extend apx 0.3-0.2mm on the solder side.

Appee

Posted Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:10 pm

That's freaking cool. Exciting having a pi shove data into chip RAM in such a cute little package.

maurensen

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:54 am

Hi, is there a place to buy that baby?
Thanx-

Return to “Hardware”