jdryyz

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 am

I was sure to search the site before posting. I did not find a match.

https://tempestfpga.com/

This product is very much in keeping with the theme of Amigalove.com, don't you agree?

I was wondering if anyone had any luck acquiring one. So far my email has gone unanswered.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 am

That’s really cool, didn’t notice this anywhere before.

Thanks for sharing!!

jdryyz

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:16 am

Agreed! I would like to get one but uncertain of that happening at the moment.

I still need to confirm that I have a donor modem in my stash. I am pretty sure my 2400 Baud Hayes modem is still in a box I have, despite not working. It would be perfect for this project.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 am

One of my friends shared this project on the AmigaLove Slack channel a couple of weeks ago after it was (I think) shown in a video on YouTube. (Update: here it is.)

Very cool idea. I have to think finding the old original 1200 baud Hayes modems on Ebay has suddenly become quite a bit spendier since then!

jdryyz

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:56 am

That is how I discovered it! I was surprised to learn it was around for a while before reaching Rev3 as it never showed up on my radar.

I can certainly see the potential for eBay price increases...assuming the new boards can be procured that is.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:30 am

intric8 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 am
Very cool idea. I have to think finding the old original 1200 baud Hayes modems on Ebay has suddenly become quite a bit spendier since then!
Yep and they have been inflated for a few years now because everyone wants an original Hayes external even though they don't really use it as a modem anymore. For the collection I guess?

So the ones I looked at on eBay are $100 minimum which is ridiculous for an old modem. I still have a couple of old external modems that I kept over the years including a US Robotics, a Zoom and my favorite Amiga modem a Supra with an LED dot matrix display. Too bad I couldn't use that one with a modern modem emulator.

Return to “Hardware”