SPiFF

Posted Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 pm

Parceiro_A500.jpg
Been thinking about using the OG Parceiro on the A500. Clearly the form factor is not ideal. Wondering if a 90-deg 86-pin header could be sourced from somewhere? Would be cool to mount it into a side-car case like the GVP HD8 or Alpha Power.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:19 am

David did create a Parceiro design specifically for the A500 in January of 2023 or thereabouts. The difference is the pin header direction as you suggest. Instead of the Parceiro being a vertical design it instead sticks straight out parallel to the table. Last I checked at the beginning of the year he was still noodling over the enclosure.

I had sent him a few ideas with my personal favorite landing somewhere between the A590 and a Star Trek space shuttle from the original series. I'm not sure if he ever finished that project or not. I will ask.
parceiro500.jpg
Photo by David Dunklee, January 2023.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:46 am

SPiFF wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 pm
Parceiro_A500.jpg
AFAIR that is the wrong orientation. It should stay upright but switch back and front.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:03 pm

From David Dunklee:
I use the exact same board for both the A1000 and A500. The only difference is the angle of the 86-pin connector

You "could" remove the 90-degree connector and put a straight one on, but you'd likely damage the board in the process.
Also:
It's very boxy right now. See pict. I tried to do a wedge, but the device is so small that the wedge just took up more space and made it harder to see the LED and SD.
Since he's using the exact same boards, that explains why the LED is located at the rear. Frankly, I think this looks pretty bad ass. I also love the conveniently located selector switch.

Some pics:
birdseyeview.jpg
Photo by David Dunklee, 2023

sideview.jpg

frontview.jpg

SPiFF

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:57 pm

Okay, that looks really good. I guess I'll be buying a 3rd Parciero then.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:33 pm

LOL! I don't blame you. It looks amazing. According to David, having the SD on the back is actually "a feature" as you can put your thumb on the front of the case and then use your index finger to squeeze and pop out the SD card easy-peasy. Pretty nice.

(Pro-tip: he might give you a discount if you shipped back your OG parceiro. I'm not positive about that, though, but I think some of the chips have changed since the original design.)

javibishop

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:40 am

is it possible to buy it?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:52 am

Maybe? It would depend on David's availability. I don't have specifics for this device, but it'll probably run in the $300 range (assuming you're in the US). If you PM me I can share his email with you there. Just know that it's a one-man-shop, so there could be a wait. Good news is I don't think we're dealing with chip shortages these days like we used to.

celso

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:42 pm

The level of personalized support and engagement David offers to Parceiro owners is just out of this world. I bought a Parceiro II for my Amiga 1000 (now upgraded to the latest revisions that adds a 68k accelerator and doesn't require replacing the onboard PALs) and had many issues with the board after recapping and replacing some chips. We must have exchanged ~50 messages back and forth; he helped with every bit of detail, providing suggestions on how to fix the issues, down to reading signals using an oscilloscope. I finally managed to get the A1000 + Parceiro working with his help.

His long-term plans for future versions of the Parceiro are also particularly exciting for owners who have PAL A1000s like me and can't have the Rejuv upgrade ;)

Anyway, I wanted to leave some words of appreciation for David's work here. Getting a Parceiro for your Amiga is one of the best upgrades you can get. It is a great product and has amazing support.
image001.png

SPiFF

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:09 pm

intric8 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:33 pm
LOL! I don't blame you. It looks amazing.
Okay, done. Getting one. All this is your fault, you know. :P
celso wrote: Anyway, I wanted to leave some words of appreciation for David's work here. Getting a Parceiro for your Amiga is one of the best upgrades you can get. It is a great product and has amazing support.
David is amazing. Parceiro is the best KS 1.3 upgrade. All the modern stuff is implemented as ZorroIII and wants KS 3.X. I have an 060 A1200 for "newer" OS. I prefer to keep the OCS/ECS hardware on 1.3. I could just be a dork tho.

Return to “Hardware”