Which version of Deluxe Paint did you like using the most?

Deluxe Paint 1
No votes
Deluxe Paint 2
25%
Deluxe Paint 3
42%
Deluxe Paint 4
8%
Deluxe Paint 4 AGA
17%
Deluxe Paint 5
8%

Total votes: 12
fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:15 am

Hi all, I am busy putting an article together for Amiga Addict on Deluxe Paint IV and I want to include a section on what version people preferred. I would love to hear why you like that version you do in the comments.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:00 pm

Although Deluxe Paint IV was considered "less elegant" and crashed more often, it was the version I primarily worked with. I liked the new features, such as the support for Hold-And-Modify mode, which was no longer bitplane-based. I also really liked the ability to create advanced animations.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:59 am

3D-vice wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:00 pm
Although Deluxe Paint IV was considered "less elegant" and crashed more often, it was the version I primarily worked with. I liked the new features, such as the support for Hold-And-Modify mode, which was no longer bitplane-based. I also really liked the ability to create advanced animations.
That is quite interesting 3D-vice. You seem to be one of the few that do enjoy it. I have yet to give it a go myself. What features allowed for advanced animations?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:21 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:59 am
3D-vice wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:00 pm
That is quite interesting 3D-vice. You seem to be one of the few that do enjoy it. I have yet to give it a go myself. What features allowed for advanced animations?
Besides the traditional frame-by-frame animation using multiple layers, I really liked the "Animpainting", where you can move objects that involve simple movement while the frames flip automatically while painting. The "Move Requester" was also a neat feature which allowed you do move and rotate a brush in all three dimensions.

Another awesome feature (I know from hand-drawn classic animation on paper) was the Light Table, because it simply functions similar to my physical light table: Overlayed animation layers, such as clear sheets of cellophane. This made it easy to paint in-between frames based on your key positions / poses. Later on, you could merge the viewed frames, e.g. to the background layer.

Lastly, the differentiation between the brush axes and the screen axes was an improved feature in DP4, as far as I remember. Working with perspective was quite challenging, but created awesome results.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 am

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Return to “Software”