Warty

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:23 pm

More progress today:
- couple speedups. I think it's now fast enough on 68000 machines, especially on 2.0+, but also much better on 1.3.

So... time for a little beta testing. I think just one person for now. I still have a lot of features to build in, so can't handle too much input at the same time. intric8, will dm.

Warty

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:51 pm

Bunch of progress in the last week:
- you can now choose between the default tileset, a (Lich King) C128-like version, and a UNIX/VT220-like version, or one you make yourself.
- tiles now only take up 7k of CHIP memory, not 8. Every little bit counts...
- improved lighting in the corridors, it's now raytracing there as well
- bunch of little tweaks, manual update, etc.
- discord server set up for the beta test, with 2 users so far.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.23.51 AM.png
Default tiles, on a "cavern" level

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 6.08.39 PM.png
"C128" style tiles, on a dungeon level

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 7.42.31 PM.png
"UNIX" style tiles, on a dungeon level

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Oooh I've never seen a cavern level before. Very cool.

When you say the light is "raytracing" what do you mean? I know what that means from a 3D rendering perspective but not in this context.

Warty

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:47 pm

So on the dark levels, you need your lantern. Your lantern throws out light in a circle around you. When you come to an obstruction (cavern levels are great for this, see the lighted vs non-lighted tiles in screenshot), the light from the latter should be blocked. On a "dungeon" level, a door would block it, or if you are in a tunnel, and the tunnel bends, you shouldn't see around it. (and any unlit square could hold a monster, a valuable artifact, money, etc.). So the way the Amiga version works is that it measures out rays (think of them as strings attached to the hero, and being drawn out every degree of a compass) that go until they hit something they aren't supposed to see through. if nothing blocks the ray, it will stop at the edge of the lantern's current radius. If something stopped the ray, anything beyond that, on that ray, will remain dark.

My memory is a bit foggy now, but I think it was too slow on C128 and B128, but I might use it on the cavern levels on the F256, which is pretty zippy. Even on F256, I was using a simpler model in the corridor, to keep up speed.

Anyway, probably more than anyone ever wanted to know, but...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:45 pm

That sounds super bad ass. It reminds me of the lighting in NetHack the way you describe it, but sounds even cooler.

Looking forward to checking it out!

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:57 am

With my Amiga coming back to life, this is definitely a must to try for me.

… emulation just isn’t for me…

The work looks more than impressive!!

Warty

Posted Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 am

Little update:
- I added some cheat codes for myself and the beta testers, and that was good, because getting down into the deep pretty quickly revealed a couple of memory leaks that could crash your machine.
- added the HELP key as a non-configurable, always-on version of the, err, "help" functionality.
- Fixed some weirdness that happens when you used a grenade and deformed the dungeon on the "light" levels.
- added an 8x8 IBM PC tileset configured to (approximately) simulate an amber monitor attached to a 16 color card. Kind of fun! (The first, and only, game my dad had for his IBM 5150 with amber Amdek monitor was Rogue; but he had a monochrome card with the higher resolution 8x11 (? from memory) charset that looked more IBM-y to me).
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 9.16.12 AM.png

Warty

Posted Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:51 am

Update:
- Spent last week updating C128 and B128 versions to catch up to bugs found when doing Amiga version. starting on F256 catchup this week.
- Started working on icons. I was feeling pretty creative and smart for the 4 color 1.3 WB icon, then I unfortunately googled this baby up... WOW!!!! AMAZING! Lichie is sad not to have a real artist like that on staff. https://www.reddit.com/r/amiga/comments ... ack_white/
If you do nothing else today, look at that link. (not news to many here I'm sure, but look again anyway, that artist deserves an academy award).
- Amiga version is a lot more complete. We'll see what the beta testers turn up. I'm a little worried about the speed on the 1.3/68000 machines. May have to do something drastic like take over the machine in order to ensure input works on slower machines.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:16 am

Hah!! Yes, I posted that image you're linking to. Its 2-state animation is fantastic, too.

Warty

Posted Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:54 am

Yeah, pretty reasonable click response. (I mean, once you come to terms with the fact that it's a huge icon, as you pointed out there). Personally, I think the huge icons are a part of the amiga experience. Anyway, beautiful work whoever that was! Hope the game was as good.

Return to “Games”