intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:02 pm

If you are fortunate enough to own an Ultimate 64 computer motherboard replacement for your C64 needs, you already knew from the get-go that it was a masterfully designed piece of hardware delivered not from a Delorean but from the genius mind of Gideon Zweijtzer.

IMG_7931.jpg
Original U64 FPGA motherboard that I bought back in 2018. (Five years ago?? Holy smoke!)

The Ultimate 64 (U64) and later revised U64 "Elite" boards deliver the perfect modern balance of delivering a fully-built plug-and-play hardware implementation (FPGA) of the entire original C64 motherboard and all of its original ports (joysticks, video, cartridges, IEC, etc.). But they also provide modern USB/HDMI ports for storage and video/audio so we can use virtually limitless USB storage and modern displays - if we want to. These important modern comforts also make firmware updates completely painless.

And if that wasn't enough, the benefits of the cycle-accurate 1541 Ultimate II+ cartridge are built in.

Typical U64/Uii+ Process:
  • Sit on the couch and surf for the latest and greatest games, demos or SIDs you want to check out in a mindless abyss, sort of like fishing. Or, hear about something and download it directly off CSDB.
  • Download said files one at a time, or in packages someone else curated, and put them on a USB thumb drive or SD card.
  • Walk the USB flash drive over to your Ultimate 64 or Uii+ cartridge and plug it in.
  • Fire up your Commodore/U64 and navigate the proprietary user interface system to mount, load and run the software.
  • (Sometimes) Realize it was a broken file and start over. (etc.)
To be honest, this process is what much of the retro scene has been like for the past few years. And honestly it's been dreamy that it even works this well. Except... sometimes dreams get even better.

I originally picked up an Ultimate 64 (v1.2) in 2018, but then invested in the mild upgrade to the Elite in August of 2022.

U64-2.jpg
I got the fun LED add-on for the Plexilaser case so it could glow, which looks really cool. I also ordered the word "COMMODORE" to be laser etched into the top area.

And, that was pretty much it. Originally I had plans to create a 100% brand new C64 by also using a MechBoard mechanical keyboard, which was an incredible bit of kit that emerged in 2020 that was short-lived and is no longer available.

IMG_9732.jpg
The MechBoard provides cherry key switches so you can actually type on your C64 as if it were a contemporary computer keyboard.

The problem was the Plexilaser case was never designed to work with the Mechboard. As such, the mounting holes didn't line up (and the Mechboard's back plate is metal). I ultimately (cough) threw in the towel and used a cost-reduced 64C keyboard with its keycaps instead and moved on.

And frankly, I kind of thought that was it.

Then, on December 28, 2023, Gideon and his team revealed a new firmware update to the U64: v3.11.

This update awakened a small and simple ESP32 module that had been on the U64 sitting dormant for years. It would have been supported sooner, but the pandemic happened and then a global chip shortage. This required Gideon to completely redesign, well, ALL of his hardware designs if he were to continue to supply them. In other words, his original roadmap had been completely set to flame and incinerated.

But, eventually, things started to turn around. So - what's this new update all about?
  • 1) WiFi module support. You can quickly hook it up to your home WiFi network in a matter of moments.
  • 2) Assembly 64 integration. From a user's point of view it may feel a bit like Fujinet. At a high level, you can now do detailed online searches for literally any kind of Commodore file ever created - on your Commodore machine - and mount, load and run those files over WiFi as if you were mounting them directly off a floppy disk or modern storage device.
  • 3) Basic http daemon support. From the source: "This allows some simple files to be served from the Ultimate. This server also implements a ReSTful API, which allows an external device to control the Ultimate with standard web URLs."
  • 4) JiffyDOS support for the built-in SoftwareIEC drive. This will continue to improve over time to be more compatible with CMD.
  • 5) Serial Bus Mode. The Ultimate 64 can now be used as an external drive, should the desire or need ever arise.

wifichip.png
Behold the slumbering dragon WiFi ESP32 module, daring you to awaken it.

For me, it's all about WiFi and Assembly 64. This upgrade allows the browsing and discoverability of C= software to be almost entirely frictionless. I can't easily express how amazing it was to set this all up today and simply try file after file after file on "real hardware" without the need to even hook up a disk drive or type commands in BASIC. It felt... well, it felt magical.

IMG_5052.JPG
Here you can see my U64 is on my home WiFi network. You get that feedback at the root menu.

IMG_5053.JPG
This is what the Assembly 64 search form looks like before you start typing. The level of detail it provides realistically should assist in helping you find just about anything you want. For example, you could ask to see any new Demos uploaded in the past 4 days, or from a single year, or from a particular Demo group, or from a timeframe but only show those with really high vote ratings. Crazy crap like that. It's amazing!

This single update has completely changed the way I look (and will use) my U64. From a pure usability standpoint, it's making the C64 almost as easily accessible (from a "gray beard's" perspective) as a mobile phone. If there's WiFi nearby, there will be C64 BADASSERY GOING ON!

After performing the update today I am sincerely considering pulling the board out of my very pretty German "Plexilaser" case and moving everything into a more sturdy 64C or Breadbin case. Why? So I can use it with my spare MechBoard and make the U64 a very flexible daily driver for software exploration. My mind is spinning! Everything is questionable! Who invented pork rinds, and why?!

Long live C= and long live the Ultimate64.

:commodore: :bruce:
IMG_5059.jpg
One demo I selected after searching Demos, 2022 and ratings higher than 8. (Knight Rider SID FTW)

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:34 pm

You nailed it. Gideon nailed it. There's nails flying from my router to my Ultimate with this Assembly 64 feature. Amazing release on this firmware and totally loving quickly running zero day SIDs and demos from different parties. The amount of content there is to explore and the ease to get it running are making it hard to turn off and just go to bed.

Few things to hope for in the next release would be paging through additional search results beyond the first 20 results in the query.

It would also be nice to send a download to your USB for local backup while it is still resident.

There's a note in the docs worth checking out
2024-01-02 22_30_58-Assembly 64 Integration — Ultimate Documentation documentation.png
I don't have paypal these days so I hope the author can set up another payment gateway. I do see some contemporary commercial releases that I wish would be removed-just need to avoid that when it does pop up.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:36 pm

And one more thing-I haven't been able to find a CCGMS terminal setting/config that works over wifi yet. Not made much progress in connecting to a BBS when I'm not on an ethernet connection since the upgrade.

Any luck? What ver/settings of the machine works for you?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:52 pm

I haven't been able to find a CCGMS terminal setting/config that works over wifi yet.
I haven't tried yet. I've been utterly absorbed in Assembly 64 at this stage. Good question, though. (Note: I wish my WiFi SSID/PW was saved after I powered down and back up again so I didn't have to retype things each time.)

With my dedicated WiFi device - not on the U64 - I used CCGMS Elite v2.0. But after I saw your post I ran over to test it out and regardless of settings (graphics/ascii, modem type, baud, etc.) I can't even type to the screen regardless of settings. If you do find a terminal that can use the U64's WiFi in a telnet fashion let us know. That would be very cool indeed.

Update:
It would also be nice to send a download to your USB for local backup while it is still resident.
I think there is a way to copy/paste what you run, which I think goes to Flash RAM, and paste it to wherever you want elsewhere on your drive if I'm understanding your request.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:36 am

So you can press
'C= key + C' and 'C= key + V' to copy / paste downloaded files from the RAM disk to SD card / USB stick works - try it out!

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:50 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:36 am
So you can press
'C= key + C' and 'C= key + V' to copy / paste downloaded files from the RAM disk to SD card / USB stick works - try it out!
Yes! That worked great. I forgot that there's decent file management tools within the menu system.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:24 pm

@Toast a friend said to me today that "exposing the esp32 as a modem to the core would be awesome too for 'dialing out'."

This tells me attempting to use CCGMS right now isn't possible so we can stop wasting our time there until a future update unlocks that feature. Now we know!

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 pm

intric8 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:24 pm
This tells me attempting to use CCGMS right now isn't possible so we can stop wasting our time there until a future update unlocks that feature. Now we know!
Ahh...Both a relief and disappointment. Was looking forward to having some freedom to put the U64 anywhere in the house without needing to haul a bridge interface to BBS. But, at least I know now it is likely in the future and that I'm not going crazy after spending quite a few hours trying different versions of CCGMS and configs.

Thanks for the insight.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:01 am

Something else I've just been told:

Apparently there is now also an NTSC-50 mode. (!!) I’ve not tested it myself, but I’ve been told it allows us to enjoy those PAL 50hz demos on our North American NTSC 1720 monitors! Will be checking that out this weekend.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:49 am

intric8 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:01 am
Apparently there is now also an NTSC-50 mode. (!!) I’ve not tested it myself, but I’ve been told it allows us to enjoy those PAL 50hz demos on our North American NTSC 1720 monitors! Will be checking that out this weekend.
That's been there for a while and it is one of the best things about the Ultimate platform for us in North America. I don't think I've found a PAL demo that didn't work great in this mode on our NTSC screens!

The VIC Kawari also has this feature as an option if you like more original hardware.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”