DuhProject

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:49 pm

Hello!

The U64 firmware update flashed fine for me, but when I tried to update the ESP32 with the .esp firmware update...it did nothing. I read you're supposed to leave it after running the update and it will pop up a message when it finished after a few minutes but it never does. So it just reports as DISABLED and never can be ENABLED. I have a message into Gideon but not sure when he'll get back to me or what can be done. I was looking forward to WIFI.

Anyhow, I did test the ASSEMBLY 64 access and over wired it works perfectly. Very cool!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 pm

Hey DuhProject! Very cool to see you here.

Before I did my own update I'd read there was zero user feedback when you update the WiFi chip - something as long as 2 minutes of total darkness. I don't recall ever seeing a message of success when I did it, either. (I did with the main update, though.)

I actually left it running and went and did some chores in the house. When I came back I simply rebooted the machine and the Wifi chip sprang to life. You'll know if it is activated because going forward a tiny little very bright green LED light will shine on your motherboard - even when you aren't online iirc. However, when I went to jump onto my home network there also wasn't any obvious user feedback like we're used to in 2024 to let us know the connection was successful. And I don't think it's liquid fast instantaneous.

So, when you go to search for your network SSID and it shows up, then you enter your password... you'll want to let that sit there for several beats before going back to the main Ultimate screen where it shows the connected drives and networks. Only then will it display the connection. If I do it all rather quickly it never attaches.

It is a C64 after all so I cut it some slack. I just wish there was a progress bar or something so you had a clue that it was trying to do something.

DuhProject

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:35 am

I'm up and running now! Got an email this morning from Gideon and it did the trick:

Dear Eric,

Please try the following:
1) Turn off the WiFi in the settings. Save settings to flash
2) Power cycle the machine
3) Flash the firmware of the ESP32, without attempting to turn it on first
4) The firmware should now flash and report ready after 2 minutes.

Best regards,
Gideon

I'm back up and running and it's glorious! This is pretty amazing. My setup has two real SIDs, different models. Looking up SIDs on Assembly and playing them directly in the menu is genius. Love it!

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”