milyrouge

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:38 am

Hi,

I'm Emily and though I'm British/Swedish, I live in Spain.

I used Amigas as a kid (started with an A500, went to an A500 Plus, then an A3000 and finally an A4000-030, which is still in my garage and needs to be resurrected!) Before that, I was almost always Commodore (Vic-20, then a Plus 4 and a side trip into Sinclair with a quite funky JS ROM Sinclair QL). Right now, I'm typing this on a Powermac G5 running MorphOS, though my daily driver is a Macbook Pro.

So, yes. Definitely an Amiga Lover with fond memories of the platform and I do miss the fun I used to have back in the day.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:15 am

Welcome, Emily! Great to have you here. My family and I visited Spain for the first time in 2019 and have very fond memories of our time there.

Your historical timeline with the Amiga and earlier 8-bits is very impressive.

Would love to see pics some day of your machines if you get them up and running. Impressive you bought a 4000 on your own for personal use at the prices they were asking at the time.

milyrouge

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:24 am

Thanks so much for the kind welcome!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time here. I moved to Spain in 2012, but went to live in Austria for a few years in 2016, and by then it was already clear that Spain had become "home" to me, so we came back again in 2020 and are enjoying it still.

Unfortunately, the only machines I still have from all those I mentioned are the first (the Vic-20) and the last (the A4000). I should definitely get them both running, if and when I find a bit of time!

I was very lucky to get an A4000. I bought it whilst at university from earnings I had selling IT equipment working at a local PC manufacturer. I needed the horsepower since I was studying Artificial Intelligence and ran a lot of quite intensive programs, or at least, that's the justification I had for spending all that money on it!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:55 am

Out of curiosity, did you ever remove the varta battery out of your 4000 before putting it in storage?

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 pm

Hola Emily,

bienvenidos!!

Glad to have you here. Awesome backstory. What did you do with the Amigas - gaming? Pixeling? Programming?

I go to Spain once a year, although rather near Barcelona. And I also go to Austria one a year if not twice.

As mentioned before - got any pics of your machines?

And really I would like to hear if there was a special moment that brought you to the Amiga?

milyrouge

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am

intric8 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:55 am
Out of curiosity, did you ever remove the varta battery out of your 4000 before putting it in storage?
I'm afraid not. :shock: I need to get it out of the garage to see what state it's in!

milyrouge

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:23 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 pm
Hola Emily,

bienvenidos!!
Thanks so much!
McTrinsic wrote:
Glad to have you here. Awesome backstory. What did you do with the Amigas - gaming? Pixeling? Programming?
I started off doing gaming and homework for school, but I was always pretty technical and artistic, so I did quite a lot of graphic work on the Amiga as well as programming. I did my degree on the Amiga, which did involve a lot of programming in POP-11, Prolog, Lisp and then, when I needed more speed for neural networks, C.
McTrinsic wrote:
I go to Spain once a year, although rather near Barcelona. And I also go to Austria one a year if not twice.
Both are lovely places to visit. I haven't been back to Austria since moving back to Spain, but will be there again in April and am quite looking forward to it!
McTrinsic wrote:
As mentioned before - got any pics of your machines?

And really I would like to hear if there was a special moment that brought you to the Amiga?
I'm afraid that I don't have any pictures of my machines, but I will unearth both of the ones I have when I have a moment.

As for the moment that brought me to it, as I mentioned, I started off with the Commodore 8-bit machines, so after my sojourn on the Sinclair QL, the only real next step was either the Amiga or the Atari ST. I hated the look of the ST's interface and had the Commodore background, so I bought my Amiga 500 after saving for a bit and selling the QL and never looked back!

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:16 am

Hi,

with this:

I meant a specific, special moment. For example, when coming from the C64 and seeing „Defender of the crown“ on the Amiga it was jaw-dropping for me. Even after almost 40years, I still remember that moment in awe.

Did you have one such moment or was it rather rational to decide for a better machine??

milyrouge

Posted Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:06 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:16 am
Did you have one such moment or was it rather rational to decide for a better machine??
Oh, no, there was nothing rational about it. When the A1000 first came out, I was totally blown away by demos such as Juggler and remember seeing it being reviewed on a BBC TV programme where they showed the Boing Ball demo running alongside a couple of the demos that came with AmigaOS 1.x. I remember reading countless columns in tech press about how amazing the machine was and then the games started appearing. Defender of the Crown was amazing, but the one that got me was Shadow of the Beast. That lovely parallax scrolling and the much more detailed and colourful graphics than the ST version were quite mind blowing.

I always saw the Amiga as both a games machine as well as a computer that opened up possibilities for school work, programming, graphics and general exploration of the computer. It just seemed so much more flexible than the other computers that I'd had access to and from the launch of the A1000 till the moment I got my A500 (which must have been in early 1989), it was a computer I really lusted over!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 am

Welcome Emily. What is the vintage computing scene like in Spain?

Return to “Member Intros”