intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:23 pm

Back in 2019 I built a shrine of sorts for the Commodore 64 that included an Ultimate 64 (U64) motherboard and a very cool smoke-gray Plexilaser clear case, complete with blue interior lighting.

IMG_0064.jpg

At the time, my intention was to also use a Mechboard, which was a now-defunct keyboard replacement project that provided a brand new mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX key switches and metallic/painted backplate. The Mechboard fits into any breadbin or 64C Commodore 64 computers with the help of some brackets. It was (is) a total Ferrari keyboard replacement for what was originally a functional but modest "Ford Pinto."

One problem I soon discovered was the mechboard was not compatible with the Plexilaser case. So, an original cost-reduced (shudder) Pinto keyboard went into place instead.

For the past 3+ years I’ve very much enjoyed that computer, and with the recent Ultimate 64 firmware update I’ve been using it a lot more.

And it does look really cool at night in a dark room with the LED light strip shining through the “COMMODORE” I had etched into the top area.
IMG_5049.jpg

I realize this is me bending over backwards to find an excuse to change it and ditch it.

But I find the machine so fragile I’m kind of afraid to travel with it for fear it might get destroyed in the process. And now that the U64’s WiFi module is working, it really is the ideal machine to take with me when I go to my cabin on Hood canal, or need to bring a C64 to SEA-CCC (SCCC), or wherever.

I decided at long last to take the plunge on a new SX-64 themed case. (I would link to iComp's store but Jens' site is so slow you'd think I provided a dead link.) The shipping cost from Germany was knee-bucklingly brutal - almost as much as the case itself! - but I can’t wait to put it all together.

IMG_5240.jpg
I do love the box, too.

IMG_5241.jpg
IMG_5242.jpg
The two-tone plastic is da BOMB. And yes, there are flow imperfections, but I don't really care at this point. At least it'll look cool and I won't be afraid to move it from point A to point B.

I’m just waiting for a dual-tone LED light from Corei64 out of Canada, which is en-route. The snazzy LED can be one color for power, another color for when the internal drive is active. Hopefully I can do the build all in one sitting this weekend. Woo hoo!

(I’m probably going to sell the Plexilaser case. At the time I bought it when they were brand new they weren't being sold to US customers. But I begged and pleaded (and accepted all shipping risks) until they said Yes. Looks like anyone can get them now, though.)

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 am

Ahhh, very nice! I also have a SX-style C64C case and indeed: It looks awesome! I've put my Ultimate64 into it, but I still have to replace the white and grey original keycaps with the ones from Jim Drew's Keycap-campaign. I think I want to try white or light grey keycaps for the main keys and the blue ones for function keys.

By the way: Be careful when pushing your new LED into the case, this might be a very tight fit!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:07 am

@3D-vice
If you're using white/gray keycaps, then technically you're staying very true to the original SX-64 color scheme.

sxy.jpg

That being said, I also have some wacky colors from Jim and was going to play around. I have a pretty bright baby blue that I think will match the SX's trim, which would be cool. I actually got an entire set but the Function keys would look cool that way (I think). And then a black set for the main keyboard.

It'll be fun to play around with it all. Definitely not breadbin brown...

By the way - and I hope to do a very short video about this later this year - but I've discovered (due to all of my collecting) that there were very high-end versions of "cost reduced" Commodore machines over the years, across both the C64 and 128. Pretty cool stuff. I'll show you what I mean later. Put it this way: I'd never replace their keycaps with any reproductions, ever.

Crazyeights

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:09 pm

Where do you get the SX style C64 case from? Is it available? I didn't see it on Jens site icomp.de.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 pm

@Crazyeights yes it's on his site. When you get to the 64C case, there's a dropdown with variations to choose from.
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 9.46.09 PM.jpg

Crazyeights

Posted Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 pm

Thank You for the link Eric! I just ordered the SX-64 case and a Retro Black one too. How different is your Ultimate 64 motherboard from Jens 64 Reloaded?

Do you remember the Kickstart campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... in-new-coo from the original Commodore 64 injection molds? Are Jens cases from those same molds or did he have new ones made? I backed the Kickstarter for 5 cases. Original beige, clear (translucent), bright red, bright white, and of course royal blue. Finally Black is available, and the SX-64 version is incredible!
Last edited by Crazyeights on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Do you remember the Kickstart campaign from the original Commodore 64 injection molds?
Yes, I had snagged a cream color and later on picked up a blue one, which I like a lot.
Are Jens cases from those same molds or did he have new ones made?
The original molds, which had been found by a guy in Texas at a auction, were later sold off and shipped to Germany. That person - Thomas Koch - had a shop called Pixel Wizard. He made cases for a while using Commodore-inspired color schemes. But (I think I have this story right) he became quite ill and ultimately sold that business to Jens, who still produces the cases. From what I can tell, the cases in Germany are still using the exact same molds but the plastics do show some streaking and "nipples" where the mold touch points are. So you'll probably see some minor imperfections.

But from my perspective, they are still super cool. The only bad thing about buying from Germany/Jens is the shipping costs almost as much as a single case.
How different is your Ultimate 64 motherboard from Jens 64 Reloaded?
Vastly different. I have a 64 Reloaded Mk 1 (I used to have a Mk 2 but I sold it). The Reloaded motherboard is cool as it lets you use a modern PSU wall wart, but at the end of the day it doesn't bring a lot to the table besides being new. The Ultimate 64 is next level amazing.

Do you own an Ultimate II+ cartridge?

Crazyeights

Posted Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:08 pm

I don't have any of the ICs or a keyboard yet. I don't have that cartridge either. How about some orange keys with the blue case for an Amiga 1.3 themed C64? I will read up on your Ultimate 64, although it's out of stock and I don't see a pre-order.

The posts on your CMD expansions is slowly bringing me back to my 64s again as time permits. I traded all of my C64 drives to buy my first bare bones Amiga 1000 in the late 80s from Lee and Nick at Tech Star in Kent. I still have it. It came with Eproms in it that load Kickstart. Nick told me that it was a developers machine

I recently bought a nice 1541-II. I really want a 1581 back and a 1571 would be great too. I still have a nice 1084 and my C128D as well.

I apologize for hy-jacking your thread.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:10 am

I don't have that cartridge either.
OK, I asked about the Ultimate II+ because it is very similar in concept to the Ultimate 64.

The Ultimate II (and II+ and now II+ L) are straight up 1541 disk drive emulators. At least, that's where they start. You plug them into the cartridge slot but they have an IEC connector port on the side that you use to plug into the serial port on the back of the C64 - or another disk drive in thes serial chain just like you would any other drive.

What's nice is you can use a common USB stick with the Uii+ where you can can store a gazillion D64 files. Fire up BASIC on the C64 and "hit" the Uii+ as if it were your external disk drive. On the Uii+ you can also directly mount and even run the files and never even type a command in BASIC. It comes with its own file browser (which takes a little getting used to, but it's fine once you get over the initial hump).

Over the years the firmware has continued to improve and provide more features.

Like, support D81 files, D71 files, CRT images, built-in RTC, ethernet (and the L later this year will have a WiFi module), dual SID implementation, built-in cartridge images like Super Snapshot or EPYX Fast Load, etc.

It goes on and on.

Now take the Ultimate64.

Imagine a brand new C64 motherboard replacement - with all of the original ports of an original C64 - but then also provides 2 original SID sockets if you want to use them. I have one of both model SID (default bread-bin because that's my jam, and secondary 64C SID when needed). And the Ultimate II+ drive emulation features are all built in. In fact, I'll take a USB micro stick from one device and walk it over to the other and use it between the 2 with no changes. At the end of the day, it's just a series of organized files which I manage on my modern computer and use as a drive on either the cartridge or computer. It's awesome.

In my personal opinion, the Ultimate II (+) cartridges have been one of the single greatest 3rd party devices ever made for Commodore computers. The Ultimate 64 motherboard replacement is the natural evolution of it all.

But yeah, you kind of have to keep an eye on the site to see when pre-orders reopen. The cartridges are available now but not the motherboard. I was looking at the cartridges just yesterday... Why? Don't I already have 2? Yes. One really old model, and one II+. But then I saw that the II+ L (which I don't have) is going to very likely support a new WiFi module later this year and that, my friend, is something I'm going to want.

:commodore: <3

Nick told me that it was a developers machine
I would be very interested in seeing that machine. I have a Developer's Edition Amiga as well, and it is the crown jewel of my collection. They are extremely rare... Dang, man. I'd love to see it in-person. We could figure out which model it is. There were multiple versions of the Developer Amiga, and mine is one of the last produced. I wonder if yours is a Zorro... or a Velvet?

Crazyeights

Posted Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 am

I just pre-ordered the Ultimate-64-MK2!

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”