intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:10 am

Amiga Animation (sometimes written in camel case, like AmigaAnimation or AmigaAnimation, Inc.) was an Amiga-focused disk magazine published by Hahn-Wallace Publishing Group in the United States. It was originally located in Beltsville, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. and appeared to move to Cape Coral, Florida, in the early 90s.

Amiga Animation was a curated collection of high-quality Shareware, Public Domain and Freeware programs, images, music, animation and other files.

The magazine appears to have been published from 1988-1995, where each year corresponds to a volume. Each Issue consisted of a full-color printed card (front and back) that included three 3.5" disks.

For example:
amigaanim-cover.jpg
Cover image from Amiga Animation Volume 5, Issue 2, 1992.

The back of the card usually showed a few screenshots and included blurbs describing all of the software and files packed into each issue, and even included the occasional Amiga news of the times.

amigaanim-back.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 9.52.17 AM.jpg
Each disk came with highly-crafted icons and came packed with the necessary software for instant viewing of images, animations and the like.

IMG_5695.JPG
From Vol. 4 Issue 3 Disk #2

IMG_5701.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
It's Janet... Ms. Jackson if ya nasty.

Legend:
:check: Magazine disk have been digitally archived as ADFs
:disk: Disks are on-hand, awaiting being imaged
:bruce: Disks have been sourced/purchased, awaiting arrival

Collection -- Work In Progress --

VOL 1 (1988)
- n/a

VOL 2 (1989)
- n/a

VOL 3 (1990)
- Issue 5, Disk 1-3 :check:

VOL 4 (1991)
- Issue 1, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 2, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 3, Disk 1-3 :check: (one bad disk)
- 2nd copy of Issue 3, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 4, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 5, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 6, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 7, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 8, Disk 1-2 :check:
- Issue 9, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 10, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 11, Disk 1-2 :check:
- Issue 12, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:

VOL 5 (1992)
- Issue 2, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 3, Disk 3 (need to archive :disk: )
- Issue 4, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 5, Disk 1-3 (need to archive :disk: )
- Issue 6, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 7, Disk 1-3 (need to archive :disk: )

VOL 6 (1993)
- n/a

VOL 7 (1994)
- Issue 5, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 6, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 7, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 8, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 9, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 10, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 11, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 12, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:

VOL 8 (1995)
- Issue 1, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 2, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 5, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:
- Issue 6, Disk 1-3 :check:
- Issue 7, Disk 1-3 (purchased, waiting to receive and test) :bruce:

Best of Amiga

I also have a 3-disk set called Best of Amiga, which is a Special Edition disk magazine that appears to have been produced by AmigaAnimation. They actually incorporated the magazine separately as Best of Amiga, Inc. but on disk 3 there are AmigaAnimation-branded files. This set seems to be dated in 1992 so during the Volume 5 timeframe of AmigaAnimation.

- Best of Amiga, Disk 1-3 (need to archive :disk: )

I think I have more than what is listed above but I need to go through my stacks of stuff to be sure. (WIP)

To my knowledge, the entire set of disk images does not exist anywhere online. Over on EAB's FTP server, they have most of Volume 4, with only four other issues across three years.

This disk magazine is extremely well made and worthy of archiving. I just so happen to own several issues of the magazine and will create a list of the disks I have on-hand. Perhaps of others out there have more, we can generate a complete listing.

I have equally large but incomplete piles of disks for
- Amiga World's Tool Chest
- Amazing Computing's AMICUS
And others. In my opinion all are worthy of being imaged at some point.

Do you own any disks of AmigaAnimation? Let's see if we can fill in the holes of what's online so far and generate a more complete archive. Who's with me?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Upon further research, I've discovered that "Best of Amiga" is actually a rebranded of the magazine that appears to have taken hold for volumes 4 and 5. I think there were some in Volume 3 as well.

Either way the volume numbering is all consistent with AmigaAnimation's publications. It's all the same mag. For whatever reason they changed the title across some years.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:03 am

I did buy a few issues of these back in the day and I probably still have them. I will look through my image archive since I have imaged over 500 of my disks so far.

I see Best of Amiga 3.4 and Amiga Animation 5.2 (which you seem to already have) so far. I have a lot of disks to go through but I know I have imaged those 2 sets so far.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:07 pm

I have acquired (bought) 15 more issues. Assuming the disks are OK, I will be able to add these to the archive later.

Issues
> 4.3
> 4.12

> 5.4
> 5.6

> 7.5
> 7.6
> 7.7
> 7.9
> 7.10
> 7.11
> 7.12

> 8.1
> 8.2
> 8.5
> 8.7

I will update the original post momentarily. This will really fill the collection out pretty nicely. It's kind of weird how I've not run across anything from Volumes 1, 2 or 6 at all.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:24 am

Looks very interesting and glad you are attempting to preserve it.

Return to “Software”