BrutalDeluxe

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:52 am

Hello there Amiga Love forum, I hope you're all doing well. I've been tinkering with my A1200 setup, and I'm excited to share it with you. Currently, I have an A1200 with a 3.2.2 kickstart, running Amiga OS 3.2 from an SD card. It's powered by a Blizzard 030 50MHz and a SCSI kit, generously maxed out with 256MB of fast RAM, all snugly housed in the original A1200 case. Here's where I could use some guidance. I have the unused SCSI port, and I'm thinking about adding a modern external drive to my setup. Ideally, I'd like something that can at least read CD-ROMs and, if possible, both read and write CDs, DVDs, and Blurays. It would be amazing if I could run CDTV and CD32 discs from it too. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the options out there, so I'm reaching out to the community for advice. If anyone could lend their expertise and point me in the right direction, I'd be incredibly grateful. Rest assured, I'll take all recommendations to heart and do my due diligence in researching them further. I just need a nudge in the right direction to 'kick start' my search. Thank you so much in advance for your help

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm

Hi Brutaldeluxe,

you could actually try to do it the other way round. Get a decent modern SCSI-drive replacement and enjoy significantly boosted HDD transfer rates. I think the latest release of ZuluSCSI even has the option of a Ethernet-over-SCSI-driver that would enable the Wifi of the PicoBerry on the Zulu!
The ZuluSCSI might even fit internally.

Then you could use an IDE optical drive and add it via the internal IDE. They are far more easy to obtain than the respective SCSI variants. For CD32/CDTV compatibility, you might try to find a drive that is able to work with indexed sound parts of a multisession CD.

If you prefer keeping things as they are and want to go the route you described, you might need an SCSI2IDE converter, which become more and more expensive these days.

Return to “Hardware”